Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I slogged, I blogged, and I went to bed!

We are testing our design in the lab, and of course, nothing works. So the last weekend was spent at work. I mean, the last weekend was really spent at work:I landed up there at 9 am on Saturday and left at 3 am on Monday, with two breaks of 4 and 2 hours respectively. Of course, one might say I slogged because I'm an anti-social, despo seengle luzaar (that's single loser in Bengali), who needs to get a life. Well, that's clearly true, but it's so boring that one should come up with a different explanation.

One might think I slogged because I wanted to be thaa man,and shine in Heaven's glorious light, and be considered a superhero, and get a raise and climb up the ladder, and gain recognition among my peers, and be known to upper management as the Rock on which the company stands, and all that. But this is not only boring, it's also untrue. You see, from generations of hiding in the forests from the invading Bhaiyas, South Indians have evolved to be camouflaged by wood. Like my other South Indian brethren, I just blend into the office furniture. Maybe I'd be noticed if I went to work in pink shirt and purple pants, but I seriously doubt it. Heck, even if I went naked, I don't think it'll register a blip on anybody's radar. The good thing, of course, is that I won't be fired, because nobody even knows I exist.

Let it also be said that I've been very understated about my weekend's achievements. The only time I talked about it was this morning:

Colleague : Hey, it's hot today, man.
Badri : True. I think it's 95, which is slightly less than 36 degrees celsius, which is actually less than the number of hours I spent at work this weekend.

Strange, things have been quiet at work today. Very little conversation with anyone. I guess everyone must be awed by my sincerity.

Anyway, the really amazing thing, and I guess the point of this blog, is that I absolutely, thoroughly, completely enjoyed the weekend slog in the lab, and I've been wondering why.

Well, first of all, there's the existential pleasure of engineering. (Yes, I use the word existential in everyday conversation, and no, I don't know what it really means, and no-ho-ho, I don't intend to find out! RIP!). I'm not one of those practical make-it-yourself blokes. I don't know a spanner from a rat's arse, and I usually call for qualified help when light bulbs need changing. When I set about removing an airhole in the electric motor at home, I flooded the room, caused a district-wide power failure (that soured Tamil Nadu's relations with Karnataka and almost made us secede from the Union), and launched my cousin's literary career. But even I can feel the thrill of wrestling with something real.

When you solve a cool math problem or answer a quiz question, you feel kicks, of course. In fact, it requires intelligence, so you'd think it's better than engineering, which doesn't really tax a man's, or even a woman's, brain. But making practical stuff work is not really the same thing as solving a difficult problem. For one thing, if you've been working with any reasonably complex system, you don't understand the whole of it, and like all reasonable people, you know that the parts that you didn't design will not work. Worse, like all truly enlightened people, you secretly fear that the Devil exists, and He's punishing you for not believing in Him by messing up the system. Finally, like all good engineers, you distrust logical thinking and believe that the scientific method should be restricted to developing extra-reach toothbrushes and effective contraceptives.

Out of a million random things, you pick one after the other, and after much trial and even greater error, some thing finally works. You know that this was pure chance and it'll stop working soon. If you're a hopeless optimist, you think it'll work again sometime that night. In any case, you try again, and hmm, it works still. And then you try again, and you reset everything and try again, and you go take a leak and try again, and go to bed and come back in the morning, and try again. Finally, you're convinced it really works, and then you cook up some logical explanation and tell your colleagues that you finally figured out the real reason.

In fact, I think all this goes back to our origin as hunter-gatherers. You see, in the old times, they didn't have central heating, and life was really challenging. Nature was not just some place you took your kids to for fun. It was something that you didn't understand or control, but had to work with. Blokes who liked to fight the good fight with muscles straining, brows sweating and hearts singing had a selective advantage over intellectual types who thought about the Human Condition. Thus it is that Nature taught Man to love fighting her, and thus it is that bull-fighting is more popular than chess. We all instintively thrill in working with complex, irrational, intractable systems. Why else would men marry and have children?

In fact, when you dig a little deeper, it's clear that anybody who genuinely loves engineering also loves Nature and believes in God, because he knows a complex system when he sees one, and he knows that there obviously must have been a designer to optimize the amplifier gain in the forward path, the time constant of the feedback path and the probabilities of detection and false alarm in the controller.

Even in a completely corny movie scene, like the bulb lighting up in Swades, you feel a secret thrill when some contraption works. When you spend 5 hours and finally see zero BER (or whatever) on the screen, you can almost hear Beethoven in the background.

That, my friends, is real kicks. Sex, drugs, mud-wresting and mountain climbing are nothing compared to it. (Yeah, I would know. I've seen all these on TV, and everyone knows that things are better on TV than in real life.)

There is, I think, one more reason why this weekend was so much fun. It's the same reason why people were happier during the War than they're now, and why we'll all end up killing each other. But that's for another blog. So much for now.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome blog!

Anonymous said...

I will of course respond to the single reference to me (it has to be me, who else would would risk dying of poverty launching a pseudo-literary career?)
Was that a reference to the childish article in Gokulam faithfully recounting your homicidal attempt in Mahabalipuram?
And boy, the whole point of a blog is that you entertain the losers who read it, with regualar updates? Or have you posted more entries, which technology has eluded me as usual?
Your cousin

b. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
b. said...

Nah, the meanie was me. I was responding to my cousin's comment, and there was, let us say too much brotherly affection in my response. The aim of this blog is, after all, to create an image of me as sensitive superman in the minds of the reading public. So I had to remove the jarring note.

Anonymous said...

Seemingly, the only folks reading your blog include a cousin (who is reading surely out of pity and other family senti you might've pushed her way), a looney (who put a google search for "complex quiz questions" and landed at your page) and an anonymous loser (who just wants to ensure there are no demeaning remarks about him that will harm his matrimonial prospects). Maybe you need to add photos of a few Tamil actresses to trap a few unsuspecting readers. In all, I don't think Tolstoy has any reason not to forgive you. Heck, he hardly cares!

Anonymous said...

Om
Privetse Mister,

I think I’ve assimilated all that I should and all that I ought to have realized on my own. I came to you on a confused shattered note and I leave collected. I don’t know if that is rejuvenation or realization. Whatever it may be, I can’t thank you enough for teaching it to me. For it is teaching, not mere projection, nor is it just an expression of sexual repression. I’ve read all that is yours. They're unfalteringly steady-stated. I liked this journey. I think I’ve reached my destination.
You are a classical author. I think Leo has forgiven you. In return for everything, I give you the link.

Dosvi daniya.
Khudahafiz.

b. said...

silpa,
first up, i apologize. since you had read so many of these posts, i assumed you knew me personally. but the fact that you don't, makes it an even kinder thing to do. thanks a lot for reading these things and saying nice things about them.

i read the story. it was really good. maybe one should read more of this murakami bird.

take care, and if you continue to read these, i hope you'll enjoy them in the future too.

badri.

ps: i pushed my detective abilities to the limit, and tried to guess where you live from the timing of your comments. i concluded you either live on a pacific island, or you are a whacko grad student.

Anonymous said...

Sir,
When students learn from Swamis and depart, it's as if they've learnt something for a lifetime.

I seem to falter although at first I'm all for firmness. I'm not sure how I become a feather. I don't believe in frog princes, yet I am restarting to believe in frankness and lessons leanrt from fart jokes.

I'm not a grad student. From what I've read I maybe almost a decade younger than you.

Signed,
T(he)CB

PS: If you need I have a few more Buddhist stories.

Anonymous said...

PPS: I live in P's timings or atleast P's blog's timings.

b. said...

Teenager, huh? Why are you wasting time reading the blogs of all kinds of old people, maan? Go out and enjoy life. You are in the prime of your youth. It'll last about 2 months. Carpe diem.

Yeah, do send me links to those stories. I'll try and pinch some of them for these posts.

Oh, and btw, say "Hi" to Dr. Valluri, and keep up the dancing :-)

Anonymous said...

Uhm..okay, I'll ask ..err Dr. Valluri ..err to keep up the dancing..got it!


Sometimes desperation is the guide.
Itineraries aren't just inscribed.
Life, I thought was a game.
Perhaps it's just a passing phase.
After all, that's what I seek from thee
...if at all I get to seek it from thee.
Pluto, that I am, am
Searching in this Disneyland of
Universal time, truth from the master of mirth.


Master B, G is the server. Email me. You'll get the links.
Signed,
TCB