Saturday, October 22, 2005

A Great Tragedy

Greatness contains within itself the seeds of its own destruction. The force of life is the same as the force of death, and it takes but one small error to convert the one into the other.

Note, for example, the curious case of Dubya and Christian values. Christian values were Dubya's unique, and only, selling point. It seemed that as long as he had Christian values, no war, no hurricane, no downturn could touch Dubya. Recently, alas, Dubya nominated as the next Supreme Court judge a ridiculously soft-hearted woman who only kills liberals but does not drink their blood. Incensed by Dubya's lack of faith, the keepers of the the self-same Chrisitan values are now calling for his head.

Note, for example, the curious case of the White Man and technology. The White Man used technology to subjugate the brown, black and yellow people of the world. Alas, instead of nerve gassing them en masse, he spared them and educated them to serve as his clerks. He counted on their lack of brains, which was fair enough. Alas, he did not account for his own lack of brains. As he made technology simple enough for himself to use it, he also made it simple enough for brown, yellow and black people to use it. And while both brown and White men can write software, only the former can breed prodigiously, as anybody in New Jersey would have noticed. Having failed to close the issue when he was on top, the White Man is now a marginalized foreigner, a hysterical second-hander, in his own country.

But the grandest tragedy of recent times occurred not in the prosaic West, but in that land of Legend, that cradle of Epic, the great nation of South India. Aye, in South India, there recently lived and died a man whose life illustrates the self-desctructiveness of greatness more poignantly than anything I have seen or read. It is his tale I recount here.

The late N. T. Rama Rao, or NTR as he was known, was a lot of things: he was film star, politician, friend of the common man, not-just-friend of the common woman, and in more ways than one, the Father of the state of Andhra Pradesh. His greatness cannot adequately be described in my humble prose, so we take up NTR's tale towards the end of his life.

NTR was slowly receding into the dusk. In his old age, he developed a fascination for vans, which he tried to convert into chariots; and middle-aged women, whom he tried to convert into Headwomen of Andhra Pradesh.

In the former, he succeeded spectacularly. Andhra Pradesh is full of people who will call anything a chariot if you promise them some cash. Some of the more inspiring Telugu poetry of recent times likens the headlights of NTR's van to the lustrous saphire eyes of an Arab thoroughbred.

The latter exercise, namely, that of making people accept NTR's mistress as their own, proved more challenging. In India, women get voted to power only if they had spiced up the public's private fantasies at some point of time in their lives. Unfortunately, NTR's middle-aged woman looked, well, middle-aged. Worse, she looked like she had looked middle-aged all her life. But NTR knew that even this could be overcome. In Andhra Pradesh, as I've said, a little bit of cash goes a long way towards ensuring suspension of disbelief.

Cash, and NTR's image, ensured that the public did indeed flock to see NTR's anointed successor. When NTR finally died, he did so thinking that he would rule through the person of his mistress for another forty years. However, fate had willed otherwise, for NTR had made an error that was to undermine his own greatness and annul his legacy. It is this fatal error that I shall now describe.

The Tragedy:
As mentioned earlier, NTR was quite active in the production business. He wanted sons to carry on his legacy, but even he could not control the gender of his offspring, and some of them turned out, unfortunately, to be girls. It was a problem, but one which Indians solve regularly and ingeniously with some rat poison in the baby's milk, or an extra affectionate hug. However, NTR's prolific rate of production made production control well-nigh impossible. Consequently, some girl children did get away, and flowered into doe-eyed beauties. NTR knew that daughters, if they were allowed to marry, would bring sons-in-law, who would compete with NTR's own sons for power. So, he fiercely guarded his daughters from lustful eyes. As poet Vemanna recounts,

Andamainadi NTR gari kooturu,
Dani choodadaniki abbaiyilu potaru,
Kopam ostundi NTR-ki valluni choosi,
Tintadu vallatho koorelu chesi.

which, in the infinitely less poetic English language translates to

The beauties that NTR did sire,
Were courted with much desire,
But suitors suffered the sire's ire,
Yea, their privates were set on fire.

It appeared that everything was under control and NTR's lineage would not be challenged by strange men that he had not fathered. But then Fate struck in the person of Nara Chandrababu Naidu, or simply Naidu. Naidu managed to marry one of NTR's daughters by the simple expedient of looking so ugly that NTR's henchmen considered him harmless. It must be said that their judgement was not far off the mark. However, they forgot that NTR's daughters saw NTR regularly, and that lowered their expectations from men as far as looks went. So it happened that NTR himself unwittingly drove one of his daughters into the waiting hands of Naidu.

The rest, as they say, is history. After NTR's death, NTR's mistress, now wife, and his son-in-law Naidu were involved in a power struggle. The wife told the people that NTR had loved her, and she was his rightful heir. All of Andhra Pradesh was awash with posters of her standing beside NTR to prove the point. It was, she believed, a surefire winner. After all, Naidu had never been in a picture with NTR.

And then Naidu pulled off a blinder. He simply had his men write "He loved this?" below the posters.

Needless to say, Naidu won the elections convincingly. He dedicated a grand tomb to NTR, cut off all neighbouring trees and released crows in the area. The tomb is now called the White House of Hyderabad.

NTR's wife has not been heard from in a while.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NTR is turning in his grave!! He will be reborn as a second Lord Krishna and avenge this blasphemous blog!

Anonymous said...

Quality dropping.
Wit disappearing.
Humor expiring.
Message showing.
Idiocy decreasing.
Srini pining.
Audience fleeing.
Stone throwing.
People spitting.
Badri stopping!

b. said...

srini, dear chap.
please don't do this.

the votes of the intellectual types are in, and they are unanimous. I should do myself a favor and stop writing.

The average types are in love with my blog, but there aren't enough of them. When last counted, there was only that charming lad Dr. V. Though he is a sweet-natured, irresistible lady-killer, he is not quite unbiased.

For popularity, I'm now relying on you and all your fellow low-life bootleggers and frontbenchers. If you desert me and call my blog a stinker, I am gone, dead. So please, don't do this.

Anonymous said...

May GOD answer the blasphemous blog!

Chittoor Murugesan said...

Hi.. I am a fan of NTR. Only the inspiration from his word *samajame na devalayam and prajale na devullu.. I had drafted a plan to solve all the problems of India

I am committed to safe guard the self respect and to resolve all the problems of India .I was already a bread hunter the neglegency of the Former Cmand present CM of had made me a begger.

Above all the subject which had been proposedto them was not a selfish one . If YOU refer to my letter and do the needful for the propaganda and implementation of the same I will be most thankful to u.

I am aged only 38 years. But I had a lot of bitter experience with the Indian central and state govt machinery.

I am a working journalist in a leading telugu daily. Yet I have a lot to share with you. only for the development my mother land I had drafted a fine plan to resolve all the problems of our country. I had named it as Operation India 2000.

I am furnishing the main points of my plan. 1. Implementing presidential form of govt. 2. Appointing a special army with 10 crore unemployed youth. 3. Handing over the project of linking Indian rivers to them. 4. Abolishing present currency and introducing new one. 5. Undertaking all the agricultural lands after paying compensation in shape of bonds payable in double after five years. 6. Implementing co-operative farming.

I had given theoretical and historical references and methods to minimize the administrative expenses of the central and state governments and to mobilize funds for the project.

I had made 200 copies and sent it to the office of the speaker of loksabha by registered post. . I had requested him to arrange for the distribution of the copies to the mps. (11-6-98). In beginning they denied the delivery of the copies. After referring to the proof of delivery sent by me they asked for a fresh copy of my plan and promised for making many copies and distributing them to the mps. I had sent but they hadn’t distributed the copies.

In the same way I had sent the copy to the cm of ap sri.N .chndrababu naidu.(November of 97). I was regularly reminding and sending fresh copies. On 22nd of april 2002 I had vexed and sent Rs.10 through MO with a note that if there is no resources even for the postage to respond on the letters from the public take delivery of the mo and respond. On 3rd of augest 2002 they asked for my proposals to place them before the cm. I had sent. But there was no response .

I had field a petition before the district consumers forum in chittoor. By knowing this through dailies the deputy secretary of cm had wrote me and promised for the appropriate usage of my plan. When my mo was delivered and cm office hadn’t responded


I had wrote to the clp leader (Present cm) the office of the clp leader had responded in favour.Even though the regime of chandrababu was over the same officials are continuing in pahee. They are planfully doing their best to hide my letters from the eyes of the cm. Only to communicate the problem to the cm

I had sat on hunger strike from 2nd of October 2004. Media had covered well the issue. Revenue report gone. Police report gone. Intelligence report gone .The sp had conveyed regrets on the negligence of the cm pashee and promised me that he will take this to the notice of the cm. But invain.

Responding to my emails the cm pashee sent a mail and instructed me to contact the collector. I had contacted. But in spite of many reminders there was no response. Due to this I had announced a padhayathra to the state capital to meet the cm on 8th of april 2005.. But the leaders of BC,SC,Vaddara,Madhiga sangams had rendered unconditional support to my plan operation India 2000 and requested me to go by bus if I do so they will also accompany me.



So that I had dropped and planning for a bus yathra to the state capital. I had communicated the above issue along with a DD for Rs.10/- to the District public information officer also. But they had adviced me to contact the CM pashee. Now it had been sent to the State Public information officer with DD for Rs 10/-

Kindly help me to help my country. Please forward my mail to your contacts

cavin said...

BAD JOKES are born on earth and people take the toll.